Olympus Announces the new CAMEDIA C-4040 Zoom 4-Megapixel Digital CameraMelville, NY - Olympus America, Inc., the world leader in film and filmless photography, announced the CAMEDIA C-4040 ZOOM. Establishing a new high-end category for Olympus C-Series cameras, the C-4040 ZOOM builds on the foundation of Olympus' award winning C-Series digital cameras while incorporating exciting new features. The C-4040 ZOOM offers a 4 Megapixel CCD, a super-bright F1.8 high-performance 3X zoom lens, plus the latest in Olympus image quality and noise reduction technologies to deliver crisp high-quality prints as large as 16" x 20".
The C-4040 is the perfect digital camera for advanced photographers desiring extensive image control capabilities combined with ease of use for creative and artistic applications. Professional photographers will also find the C-4040 ZOOM to be a versatile yet compact solution providing the image quality and output sizes required for magazine and newspaper publication.
Its high-performance 3X zoom lens offers a large aperture that opens to a maximum F1.8 aperture setting for low light photography pictures. Combined with its extended flash working range, the C-4040 ZOOM is a great camera for any low-light shooting situation. Simple to use, the C-4040 ZOOM also features Olympus' USB AutoConnect capabilities for fast and worry-free downloading without the need for any additional software or drivers.
Similar in design to other Olympus C-Series models, the C-4040 ZOOM has an elegant all-black finish and rich ornamental parts that complement new ergonomic controls, including a rubberized lens barrel and grip. The C-4040 ZOOM also retains many popular features found in the C-Series, such as Auto and Manual White Balance, multiple exposure settings to compensate for different lighting conditions, a two-frame-per-second Burst Mode, QuickTimeTM Movie, black-and-white and sepia shooting modes, Auto Exposure Bracketing (AEB), and several compression settings.
New Features of the C-4040 ZOOM include:
- New Noise Reduction System - The noise reduction system allows for +/- 5-step sharpness and contrast control for clearer, more precise images. The camera compares similar images and uses that information to minimize background noise in pictures, even during long exposures or in low light conditions.
- Super Bright Lens - From wide-angle to telephoto settings, the new super-bright 7.1 - 21.3mm 3X zoom lens (35-105mm equivalent in 35mm photography) captures images with unrivaled precision. The 3X optical zoom also allows offers a seamless 7.5X digital zoom to get even closer to the action. The lens permits users to take shallower depth of field images for greater portrait photo opportunities and more freedom in low-light situations.
- Optimum Image Enlargement Mode - Enlarges images up to 3200 x 2400 pixels in SHQ or HQ mode. The C-4040 ZOOM uses a bicubic algorithm and a new high-speed ASIC chip to maximize image quality and processing speed to create sharp, crisp pictures as large as 16" x 20".
- Superior Image Quality - A 4.1 megapixel CCD and advanced imaging technology create exceptionally sharp, crisp high-resolution pictures.
- User Friendly Interface - A streamlined menu with user-selectable shortcut menus and custom buttons make the camera easy to navigate and program.
- USB AutoConnect - Connect to any USB-compatible Windows® computer (running Windows® Me or 2000) or Macintosh® (running MacOS 8.6+) for easy downloading of image files to computers without any additional software.
- Newly Designed Menu Navigation System - Never miss another moment fumbling through layers of camera settings. Custom buttons and shortcut settings make adjustments quick and easy.
- New Rubberized Lens Barrel - The new rubberized grip around the lens barrel provides for surer handling in any weather condition, and protects the lens even without a cap. A tethered line ensures the lens cap is never lost when one is used.
- Metering Modes - The C-4040 ZOOM offers users a choice of ESP multi-patterned metering and spot metering for easy, yet advanced exposure control. The ESP multi-pattern meter looks at a variety of areas in the subject area for proper overall exposure. Spot metering allows for pinpoint control of subject exposure using only the very center of the image area. The C-4040 ZOOM also includes a new Multi-Spot metering mode that combines up to eight spot reading positions and averages them together for total control over subject exposure. The C-4040 ZOOM's versatile metering capabilities make it one of the most advanced models in the field of 4 Megapixel cameras.
- Spot AF Function - A Spot AutoFocus function allows the camera to focus on points specifically selected by the photographer.
- White Balance - Get exacting control over white balance settings in any lighting condition and ensure proper color reproduction. The iESP multi-patterned white balance system automatically adjusts system settings to deliver the best image quality, or select one of the four manual white balance presets for more precise control. In addition, a new +/-3 step white balance correction function enables minor adjustments in color tones.
- Sharpness and Contrast Settings - Get the best possible pictures every time. Flexible sharpness and contrast controls let the photographer take full control of final output quality. Soft, Normal and Hard Sharpness settings adjust the definition around the subject to meet any need. Low to High Contrast control regulates dark and light areas to capture any image with just the right amount of contrast and depth.
- QuickTimeTM Movie with Sound - QuickTime Movie mode allows users to capture up to 120 seconds of video with simultaneously recorded sound. For still images, the C-4040 ZOOM lets users record a 4-second audio attachment, ideal for voice memos. Audio may be re-recorded over images, with functionality supported by Olympus' CAMEDIA Master software.
- Accessories - Olympus provides a wide range of optional accessories for the C-4040 ZOOM including a camera case; FL-40 external flash for synchronized shooting with TTL cable and bracket; an assortment of lenses from 28mm to 152mm equivalent; RM-1 remote control; NiMH batteries and charger; C7AU AC adapter.
C-4040 ZOOM Street Price $1099
For more information, contact Olympus America, Consumer Products Group, Two Corporate Center Dr., Melville, NY 11747-3157, Phone: (631) 844-5000 or visit the Olympus C-4040 Zoom product page.
Olympus America is responsible for sales in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. Specifications subject to change without notice.
Olympus is a registered trademark; CAMEDIA and Microcassette are trademarks of Olympus Optical Co. Ltd. Adobe is a registered trademark and PhotoShop are trademarks of Adobe Systems Inc. Apple, Macintosh and QuickTime are trademarks of Apple Computer. Microsoft is a registered trademark and Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corp. SmartMedia is a trademark of Toshiba America, Inc.
Specifications subject to change without notice.
Note to editors: Photos of the C-4040 ZOOM are available from Thomas Public Relations at (631) 549-7575.