Olympus Announces Winners Of Second Annual 'Photographers Of Tommorrow' ContestStudents Recognized for Capturing “Your World: The Art of Technology Through Your Eyes”
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., June 30, 2009 – Olympus names the winners of its second annual “Photographers of Tomorrow” contest, which is designed to inspire students at the top photography programs across the country. Students used Olympus E-System digital single lens reflex (DSLR) cameras and competed to capture images that best represented this year’s theme “YOUR WORLD: The Art of Technology Through Your Eyes.”
Grand Prize Winner
Lisa Norman-Hudson, a photography student at Pellissippi State Technical Community College in Knoxville, Tennessee, was selected by a panel of three Olympus Visionary judges. Her creative image titled, “The Dawn of Technology” looks like a city at sunrise, and after a closer look, that cityscape is actually a computer’s circuit board. As the grand prize winner, Lisa will receive a $5,000 scholarship and an Olympus E-3 camera, ED 12-60mm f2.8/4.0 SWD Zoom lens, ED 50-200mm f2.8/3.5 SWD Zoom lens and gadget bag. Lisa’s professor, Wade Payne, will also receive an E-3 camera.
Public Vote Winner
For the first time, the Photographers of Tomorrow contest posted the 20 finalist images online and opened voting to the public. Erica Smith of the Art Institute of Colorado in Denver, Colorado was selected for her image titled, “Foggy Day on the Lake.” The serene image features a man in a boat among the mist. Erica will receive an Olympus E-520 kit. Both winning images can be seen at www.olympusamerica.com/yourworld.
“The participating schools are known for producing some of North America’s top photographic talent, and the entries we received reflected that,” said John Knaur, senior marketing manager – DSLR, Olympus Imaging America Inc. “We congratulate Lisa and Erica on their accomplishment, and encourage all students to continue to expand their artistic horizons.”
The Olympus E-System is designed with revolutionary features that expand the frontiers of digital photography. Based on the Four Thirds Standard, Olympus offers 100 percent digital lenses for edge-to-edge sharpness in a durable, yet portable design. Olympus pioneered Full-Time Live View, Dust Reduction and other technologies for DSLRs, leading where others have followed.
New E-System cameras provide easy-to-use Art Filters, Multiple Exposures and Multi-Aspect Shooting (built right into the camera) for capturing creative images on the go – without being tethered to a computer and editing software. Proof that Olympus technology combines innovative features with intuitive product design to enhance what you see and what you can do.ABOUT THE OLYMPUS VISIONARY JUDGES
- Larry C. Price – A two time Pulitzer Prize Winning Photojournalist, Price has published photographs in Time, Newsweek, U.S. News and World Report, and National Geographic among other magazines and has worked as an industry leading photojournalist and a photo editor at many of the country’s top newspapers and newswires.
- Maki Kawakita – A rising star in the global photographic scene and known for her “Kabuki Pop” style, Kawakita divides her time between celebrity portraiture, commercial work and a personal series she calls “Makirama.” She has photographed numerous celebrities and pop and style icons including Beyoncé, Missy Elliott, Hillary Duff and many more. Kawakita’s Japanese, American and European influences shape her style and creativity, making her one of America’s most coveted fashion photographers.
- Nick Kelsh – One of the world’s top photographers, shooting for many of the “Day in the Life” series of books, and a renowned family and commercial photographer, Kelsh has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and has written numerous best-selling books including Siblings with Anna Quindlen and How to Photograph Your Baby. Kelsh is best known for his radiant, engaging, black and white images of children and babies.
ABOUT THE OLYMPUS VISIONARY PROGRAM
Established by Olympus Imaging America Inc. in partnership with some of today's most talented photographers, the Olympus Visionary program is dedicated to creating superb digital images with the help of Olympus' digital cameras and lenses. Olympus Visionaries span all fields of photography and work in a diversity of styles and subject matter, but they are united in realizing their creative vision through digital photography. The Visionaries use Olympus digital cameras in their daily assignments and personal work; participate in speaking engagements and appearances; and provide Olympus with input into equipment development. The Visionaries include several Pulitzer Prize-winning and Magnum photographers, as well as internationally-renowned photographers who have photographed assignments around the world.
Journalists interested in more information about the “Photographers of Tomorrow” contest, Olympus Visionaries or Olympus products can contact Charles Leone, Mullen Public Relations, (212) 885-3803 or Charles.Leone@mullen.com, or Jennifer Lyons, Olympus Imaging America Inc., 3500 Corporate Parkway, Center Valley, PA 18034, (484) 896-5350 / (800) 622-6372 or the Olympus Web site: http://www.olympusamerica.com.
ABOUT OLYMPUS IMAGING AMERICA INC.
Olympus Imaging America Inc. is a precision technology leader, designing and delivering award-winning products for consumer and professional markets.
- Digital Cameras
- Professional and Consumer Digital SLR Imaging Systems
- Related Underwater Products and Accessories
- Digital and Microcassette Recorders
- Digital Media
Olympus Imaging America Inc. is responsible for sales in the United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. For more information, visit: www.olympusamerica.com.
Olympus Imaging America Inc.
Jennifer Lyons, senior manager, public relations
Mullen Public Relations