CRC Awareness: Our Company
Olympus is the global leader in endoscopy and the medical devices used to help detect, diagnose and treat gastrointestinal diseases – including colon cancer. As a company, we firmly believe that it is our responsibility to educate people on the facts, encourage prevention and help lead the charge in fighting this disease, which through recommended screening, is preventable, treatable and beatable.
- Colon Cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States among men and women combined, and affects people of all racial and ethnic groups.
- It touches more than 132,000* Americans annually and claims nearly 50,000 lives.
- Overall, the lifetime risk of developing colon cancer is about 1 in 20.
- It is most often found in people 50 years or older, but can occur at any age.
- It is one of the most detectable and treatable forms of cancer, and more than 90 percent of all cases can be prevented with recommended screening.
- Everyone 50 years and older, and those with symptoms or a family history, should be screened regularly for colon cancer.
Get Cracking ... Screening Saves Lives
Thanks to increased and improved patient screening, and improved treatment options, the mortality rate from the disease has dropped over the past 20 years. There are currently more than one million colon cancer survivors in the United States. If someone you know has put off scheduling a colonoscopy, encourage him or her to talk with their doctor … it may save a life.
WE WILL FIGHT VIDEO
Sharing is Caring
Help us spread the word about colon cancer prevention! The following resources are available to you at no cost to share with your loved ones and friends online and offline.
For more information about colon cancer and screening, visit the American Cancer Society website at www.cancer.org.
The colon cancer statistics on this page were compiled from the American Cancer Society’s website (www.cancer.org).
*Colon and rectal cancers combined.