|Home >> Ask Olympus:Proper settings and exposure for stage photos|
I cannot take good pictures in a dark area with a lighted stage. My camera takes good pictures of everything but poor lighted areas. What settings should I use for the best results?
Stage lighting may look bright, but this is only because you are in a darkened theatre. Actually, the light levels are somewhat low. You can try using the INDOOR Scene Mode which raises the ISO.
If your camera has some of the following menu options, you can use these settings in the camera’s normal shooting mode:
- Metering: Change the ESP setting to SPOT metering. This will result in more accurate metering of the stage area and not meter on the surrounding darkness as well.
- White Balance (WB): Set the white balance to the tungsten setting. This will yield more accurate color balance. The colored gels used in stage lighting can skew the auto white balance results.
- ISO: Set the ISO to a higher value such as 400.
Archive - Compact Cameras:
- Playing back photos and movies
- Printing the date on your photos
- Taking better indoor photos
- Changing resolution
- Best image sizes for emailing
- Avoiding blur in low light
- Taking pictures faster
- Evening out exposure for panoramic sequences
- Digital vs. film ISO
- Grainy pictures
- xD-Picture Card Use and Care
- Black and White with your point and shoot
- Shooting for online auctions
- Panoramic photography
- How do I photograph documents?
- Get images off of internal memory?
- Increasing shot-to-shot speed
- Tips for shooting portraits
- Tips for shooting holiday lights outdoors
- Tips about memory card usage
- My videos I'm not getting any sound. Why?
- Tips for shooting panorama photos
- Minimizing shutter lag
- Transferring your photos to a CD
- Macro photography
- Double exposures and xD card questions
- Battery charging guidelines
- Truer color indoors
- Proper settings and exposure for stage photos
- Minimizing glare from glasses
- Adjusting for photos shot into the sun
- Keeping faces sharp
- Why do I get red-rye?
- Steadying camera in NIGHT Scene mode
- Extending my battery charge?
- Shooting in cold weather
- Using the Macro shooting mode
- Save a zoomed playback image
- Printing from Olympus software
- Low Light Sports Photography
- Shooting indoors in the winter
- Using my camera on a telescope or microscope
- Tips for getting better results using the flash
- Tips for controlling sunlight
Submit your question using the form below and we may feature it in our next edition!
Please note: Questions submitted to Olympus will not receive individual responses.
If you have a specific tech support issue for which you need immediate assistance, please contact our technical support group by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 1-888-55-DIGITAL.