|Home >> Ask Olympus: Blurry low light pictures|
Why do my pictures sometimes come out blurry in low light situations?
To counteract camera shake and subject motion, turn up your camera's ISO to a higher value. Digital Image Stabilization (DIS) -- a built-in feature in many Olympus cameras -- has the same effect.
Most Olympus compact digital cameras released since 2006 allow you to boost the light sensitivity of the imaging sensor. Higher-end cameras will let you adjust the light sensitivity directly by increasing shutter speed or ISO ratings, but even our FE Series models have some pre-set scene modes that will change the settings automatically. Examples of these modes include the Indoor, Available Light, or Candle scene modes and any mode or function that uses Digital Image Stabilization.
Reducing camera shake is another simple way to eliminate blur in any shooting situation. Try one of these tips:
Archive - Compact Cameras:
- Playing back photos and movies
- Printing the date on your photos
- Taking better indoor photos
- Changing resolution
- Best image sizes for emailing
- Avoiding blur in low light
- Taking pictures faster
- Evening out exposure for panoramic sequences
- Digital vs. film ISO
- Grainy pictures
- xD-Picture Card Use and Care
- Black and White with your point and shoot
- Shooting for online auctions
- Panoramic photography
- How do I photograph documents?
- Get images off of internal memory?
- Increasing shot-to-shot speed
- Tips for shooting portraits
- Tips for shooting holiday lights outdoors
- Tips about memory card usage
- My videos I'm not getting any sound. Why?
- Tips for shooting panorama photos
- Minimizing shutter lag
- Transferring your photos to a CD
- Macro photography
- Double exposures and xD card questions
- Battery charging guidelines
- Truer color indoors
- Proper settings and exposure for stage photos
- Minimizing glare from glasses
- Adjusting for photos shot into the sun
- Keeping faces sharp
- Why do I get red-rye?
- Steadying camera in NIGHT Scene mode
- Extending my battery charge?
- Shooting in cold weather
- Using the Macro shooting mode
- Save a zoomed playback image
- Printing from Olympus software
- Low Light Sports Photography
- Shooting indoors in the winter
- Using my camera on a telescope or microscope
- Tips for getting better results using the flash
- Tips for controlling sunlight