|Home >> Ask Olympus: Why does my camera flash a couple of times before taking the picture?|
Question: In low light situations, the flash on my Olympus digital SLR flashes a couple of times before taking the picture. What’s going on?
Answer: Olympus accessory flashes such as the FL-36R and FL-50R can be set to project a red grid to assist the camera autofocus in low light situations. To assist the camera’s autofocus in low light situations when accessory flashes are not mounted on the camera, Olympus digital SLRs have an Autofocus Illuminator option in the menu.
In most Olympus digital SLRs, The AF ILLUMINATOR option is found in the SETUP 1 menu (Wrench icon 1). When it is set to ON the flash will fire a set of quick, low-power flashes to provide enough light for the autofocus system to lock focus and allow the camera to shoot.
However, if one of the Autofocus Frames is not on an area illuminated by the pre-flashes, the camera may have a difficult time finding something to focus on and may flash a few more times while it is trying to focus.
The default AF FRAME setting is AUTO. In this setting, the camera selects which AF Frame to use. Try changing the setting to the center autofocus frame, and you will find the camera will have a faster autofocus response with and without the AF Illuminator.
Archive - E-System:
- Advantages of digital lenses
- Transferring your photos to a CD
- Printing the date on your photos
- Best image sizes for emailing
- Lens connections and F-stop
- Indoor sports photos
- AF illuminator and camera flashes
- Camera locks up while shooting closeups
- Taking photos of the Northern Lights
- Shooting in cold weather
- Pixel Mapping
- Waterfall and Stream Effects
- Camera unable to secure autofocus
- Night sports photos
- Can I use a teleconverter with my kit lens?
- What is MY MODE?
- Saving Your Camera Settings
- What does the Fn button do?
- Tips for shooting holiday lights outdoors
- Tips about memory card usage
- The purpose of IMAGE ASPECT when shooting?
- Tips for digitizing 35mm color slides
- Double exposures and xD card questions
- Taking better indoor photos
- Shooting in RAW
- Battery charging guidelines
- E-System Compatibility
- Cleaning your mirror box
- Studio Lighting
- Tricks for manually focusing
- Focusing E-System cameras in low light
- P, A, S and M modes
- Keeping a zoom lens steady
- What lenses can I use with my DSLR?
- High Dynamic Range (HDR) Photography
- Post-processing color controls in OLYMPUS Master
- How do I use bracketing modes?
- Save a zoomed playback image
- How can CONTRAST, SHARPNESS and
SATURATION be applied creatively?
- Shooting indoors in the winter
- What does the GRADATION feature in the menu do?
- Using OM-System lenses and accessories
Submit your question using the form below and we may feature it in our next edition!
Please note: Questions submitted to Olympus will not receive individual responses.
If you have a specific tech support issue for which you need immediate assistance, please contact our technical support group by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 1-888-55-DIGITAL.